| OLD MUNICH GERMAN SAUSAGE HOUSE - STEPHEN AVE CALGARY Old Munich German Sausage House 203 8 Av SW, Calgary, AB Phone: 403-234-0015 |
You know spring and summer is officially here when you see all the street food vendors setting up shop. Street-food is some of my favorite places to find lunch. I wish this city had more street-food vendors than they do.
Most lunches when its nice out, I venture down onto Stephen Ave. for a little people watching and find a bite to eat that doesn't have a gigantic line up. I got out to lunch a little earlier than usual and decided to get a smokie from the famous Old Munich German Sausage tailor. What pulled me in wasn't actually the delightful smell of the smokies and bratwurst but the busker playing German songs polka songs on his accordion. I guess it put me in the mood.
I was lucky to be early enough to avoid the long snake like winding line that usually forms over the noon hour. This is a very popular spot on Stephen Ave.
I decided on a Kielbasa with mustard only ($4.50). Nice, plain but very delicious. The kielbasa is very juicy and grilled perfect. Not dried out like you get at other vendors around the city. They also do have bratwurst, hot pepperoni, smoked beef and spicy Italians as well. They are fairly large and come stuffed in a very fresh Vienna roll. It reminds me of the "Pocket Dawgs" they sell at the Calgary Flames games but WAY tastier.
Lunch for 5 bucks. Can't go wrong. Grab a sausage, find a bench and enjoy the people watching on a sunny Stephen Ave.

I use to eat these every weekend when the original owner only had a both set up at the Blackfoot farmers market, over 20 years ago.
ReplyDeleteI still crave them today, but live over 3 hours away from Calgary. Glad to see this is still an ongoing business and will stop by when I am back in cow town.